I recommend short fiction where empathy, ethics, and justice do not happily co-exist. All are free to read online.
The Cold Equations by Tom Godwin
- 1 hr 20 m read
- A stowaway on an emergency space ship presents a terrible ethical dilemma. Truly emphasizes the destructive indifference of nature and space.
- Originally published in 1954 yet still timelessly resonant. Has gained 'response stories' just like Ursula K. Le Guin's The Ones Who Walk Away from Omelas.
- 10 minutes of how feeling other people's emotions can turn you into a hateful misanthrope. Beware the empaths online.
- 35 minute read
- A mysterious woman claiming to be from the future becomes a food service worker. Hataraku Mao-sama can only wish he wielded half her power.
- 30 minutes of a sick Buddhist monk in Thailand practicising ill-advised lessons in suffering.